Home : About Us : Staff : Staff Judge Advocate
Legal Spotlight

Don't Drink & Drive

Americans driving in Europe should be aware of lower legal limits for drunk and impaired driving. As always, the best advice is not to drive if you have consumed alcohol. Most countries in Europe have a lower legal limit for drunk driving than American standards. In many countries, including Germany, the legal blood alcohol level for operating a motor vehicle is .05 percent (measured in grams per 100 milliliters of blood).

Funded Legal Education Program

Every year the Army Office of The Judge Advocate General in Washington, D.C., accepts applications for the Army's Funded Legal Education Program. Under this program, the Army sends active duty commissioned officers to law school at government expense. Selected officers will remain on active duty while attending law school. Interested officers should review Chapter 10 of Army Regulation 27-1 to determine eligibility. Information on the program can be accessed through the Army Judge Advocate Recruiting Office.


Our mission is to provide professional, ethical, accurate, and timely legal support to the commanders, soldiers, family members, and qualified civilian employees of the 21st Theater Sustainment Command. We accomplish this through our advice and guidance in Legal Assistance, Claims, Military Justice, Administrative & Civil Law, Operational Law and International Law.

Legal Assistance

21st Theater Sustainment Command Legal Assistance Offices offer free legal advice in Kaiserslautern, Baumholder and Stuttgart, Germany, as well as Mons and Brussels, Belgium, and Shinnen, The Netherlands. Certified military and/or Army civilian attorneys advise on most areas of civil law, including consumer law issues; contract disputes; landlord/tenant disputes; contract review; creditor problems; nonsupport; immigration; motor vehicle laws; merchant scams; wills; powers of attorney; bankruptcy and indebtedness; separation/divorce; notarizations and taxation.

Licensed American and host nation attorneys advise on most areas of civil law, including consumer law issues, contract disputes, landlord/tenant disputes, contract review, bankruptcy and indebtedness, nonsupport, immigration, motor vehicle laws, merchant scams, taxation, separation/divorce, and notarizations. In addition:

• You may obtain a power of attorney, a document that authorizes your agent (the person you name) to act on your behalf. You may grant a general power of attorney (allows your agent to act on all matters), a special power of attorney (allows your agent to act only on those matters you listed), or a health care power of attorney (allows your agent to make decisions concerning your care).

• You may consult with a legal assistance attorney on your estate plan -- the plan that allows you to decide how to transfer your property after your death. Your estate includes everything you own when you die (e.g., your house, car, insurance policies, and personal property). A will is part of your estate plan. If you own some of your property jointly with right of survivorship, that is part of your estate plan. Other estate planning documents include advance medical directives and health care powers of attorney.

• You may draw up a will, the document that determines who will receive your property when you die. A will also allow you to name a guardian for your minor children. If you die intestate (i.e., without a will), your state of domicile will decide how to divide your property based on its intestacy law.

We do not advise clients on private commercial business activities, employment-related matters, or lawsuits or claims against the United States Government. We do not normally make appearances in civilian courts on behalf of a client.

Your attorney must know all the facts, favorable or unfavorable. Do not hesitate to talk freely to him/her. An attorney must keep all information confidential unless you, the client, give the attorney permission to disclose information to a third party. Confidential communications are matters you tell your lawyer when seeking legal advice about your personal situation. The privilege may extend to conversations, letters, photographs, charts, and other documents.

  1. You must have a current Active Duty or Retired military ID card with you to obtain services. If you or your sponsor is a member of the Reserve or National Guard mobilized for 29+ days, you must have either an updated Active Duty ID card or copy of mobilization orders on hand.
  2. Reserve Component members not mobilized for at least 29 days, and Individual Ready Reserve personnel are not eligible for services.
  3. DoD Civilian employees are only eligible for assistance on deployment matters and responses to Financial Liability Investigations of Property Loss.
  4. The only individuals eligible for services without a military ID are:
  5. Next of Kin of Service members who died in an active status are eligible for probate assistance
  • Parents or Guardians acting on behalf of a minor (the minor must have an ID card)
  • Holders of a special power of attorney for a legal assistance service from a deployed Service member acting on his or her behalf.
Tax Information
The 21st TSC Office of the Staff Judge Advocate operates a Tax center on Kleber Kaserne, Kaiserslautern. The Tax Center is open through April 15th. We prepare and electronically file federal and state income tax returns. We also prepare amended and prior year returns. Our staff is IRS-trained and our services are free. What documents should you bring? Various forms of identification and proof of income are just a few items you'll need to bring, get a full list HERE.
Located in Building 3210, Rm 1, Kleber Kaserne (in the Kaiserslautern Legal Services Center)
Open, Monday to Friday from 9 to 4 p.m. on a walk-in basis (last walk-in taken at 3;30 p.m.)
Call us DSN, at 483-7688 or commercial 0631-411-7688


Our Locations
Building 3004, Panzer Kaserne
Administrative Law: DSN 523-0470
Criminal Law: DSN 523-0488
Special Victim Team: 523-0526

Mailing Address
HQ, 21st Theater Sustainment Command
Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
Unit 23203
APO AE 09054


Military Justice Building & Legal Assistance Office Building 8680
DSN 531-2457, FAX 485-8230

Legal Assistance Office: DSN 531-2445


Trial Defense Service Building 8681
Trial Defense Service: DSN 531-2465
COMMERCIAL in Europe: +49-611-143-531-XXXX
Office Hours: 9 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and 13:00 to 15:30 p.m.


Walk-in Services
  • Notarization (including affidavits and certified copies)
  • Power of Attorney

Appointments are required to see an attorney and can be made on short notice in the event of a genuine emergency.

Mailing Address:
Baumholder Law Center
Bldg. 8680
Dragon Loop Circle
Smith Barracks

Building 3210, Kleber Kaserne
DSN 483-8848, FAX 483-7407
Claims DSN 483-8855/8856
International Law: DSN 483-8854/8859
Trial Defense Service: DSN 483-8397
SHAPE Building 318, 2nd Floor
DSN 423-4910, 423-4868
FAX 423-3862
Commercial +32-65-44-4910 or 4868
Client Services: DSN 314-423-4868
Administrative Law: DSN 314-423-3791
Fax: DSN 314-423-3862
Military Justice: DSN 314-423-8063
International Law: DSN 314-423-3608
Hours of Operation: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9 a.m. to noon; 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Wednesday: 9 a.m. to noon


Kelley Barracks, Building 3312, 2nd Floor, Room 230

Defense Switched Network (DSN): (314) 421-4152

Commercial Telephone: +49(0) 711-729-4152 

Hours of operation: Mon.– Wed., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thurs. 1–4:30 p.m., & Fri. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, Closed U.S. federal holidays and USAREUR training holidays.

Hours of operation: Mon.– Wed., 9 a.m.–12 p.m.; 1-4:30 p.m., Thurs. 1–4:30 p.m., & Fri. 9 a.m.–12 p.m.; 1-4:30 p.m.

Location: Schinnen Bldg. 37
Law Center: DSN 314-360-7688
Claims Office: DSN 314-360-7683, or commercial, +31-464-43-7688
Hours of Operation: Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Thursday and Friday 1 to 4 p.m.

Legal Informer
JAG Corps History

Disclaimer: This site does not constitute legal advice and is designed to provide general information. For specific information, contact your local Staff Judge Advocate Office.