Got Questions? Get straight answers to some of your most pressing questions. Check back often as we continue to add new topics!
Permanent Change of Station (PSC)
There are trained volunteers to be Spouse Sponsors and Youth Sponsors for your Family Members, answer questions, provide resources and overall reduce the stress of moving to a new country. Provide contact information to connect a sponsor with your spouse or contact the FRG or ACS directly for assistance. For assistance with school-aged children and PCS, contact the School Liaison Officer  at your gaining installation to request a Youth Sponsor and get information on education options in your new location.

Installation Management Command Directorate-Europe has been providing support to Soldiers, civilians and Family members at Army garrisons in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Italy. With responsibility for seven garrisons, our mission is to provide the best possible training facilities, power projection platforms, Family housing and base operations support services.

With services ranging from child care to force projection, we enable tactical units in Europe to focus on operations, training and deployments. We believe our support for families is a primary readiness function, enabling Soldiers to deploy with the assurance that their loved ones are well cared for. See below for links to U.S. Army Garrison Across Europe:

 U.S. Army Garrison Ansbach  

 U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria 


Moving with young children may add stress to an already stressful situation. There are trained Youth Sponsors who can ease many of your child’s concerns. Contact the School Liaison Officer, or SLO, for your new installation  to request a Youth Sponsor and schedule time to video chat as a family. Let your child ask questions about the area, foods, language and schools. Also, speak with the SLO about school options in the area – some garrisons have multiple options, including DODEA schools, international schools, private schools and more. Homeschooling is also an option in many areas. Your garrison SLO will have details for you to make the best decision for your family.
See your losing garrison veterinarian for current requirements to travel with or ship your pets (Pet Passport) to your new country and specific location – requirements can vary greatly so be ensure you know exactly where you will be assigned. Plan for additional fees for pre-travel prep, flights, arrival and possible boarding/kennel needs which may not be reimbursable. NOTE: Some timelines are very specific and may cause delays, as well as significant additional expense, for your pet’s travel if you do not follow exact requirements.
Contact your Sponsor to determine if you will need lodging and the housing office to find out if there are housing requirements for a specific community. Single Soldiers may be assigned to a barracks room upon arrival and some garrisons may allow families on a waiting list prior to arrival. If you will need lodging, request assistance from your Sponsor or contact the garrison lodging reservations desk directly. See the garrison home page for contact information on post lodging. If there are no vacancies for your anticipated arrival time, lodging will be able to provide alternatives and contact details for you. Ensure your Sponsor knows your travel itinerary (including leave locations), arrival date, number of travelers and lodging reservations details prior to you out-processing your current unit.
Time in lodging varies greatly across all garrisons and time of year. Contact the housing office for specific requirements in your gaining garrison and to get on a housing waitlist (if possible/necessary). If you are able to (or required to) live off-post, start looking for a suitable place to live as soon as possible. The Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) is intended for a short time only while you seek and secure permanent housing. Short extensions may be requested through your unit with justification. Contact the garrison finance office and housing office for specific details.
Sending mail to your CMR is just like sending mail to any other US location using the United States Postal Service (USPS) – same cost to mail letters and packages. Packages will require a US Customs label. The mailing address format is:


(Rank) First & Last name
CMR xxx, BOX xxxxx
APO, AE xxxxx-xxxx


Make sure to get the actual details for CMR, Box and Zip Code from your Sponsor or servicing CMR before you send mail or update family members on how to send mail to you.

Do not include any other information with this address format when sending mail to military post office boxes. Additional information (such as host country) will delay delivery and may incur additional fees. If you decide to use a different mail service – such as FedEx, UPS, or DHL – contact that company directly for assistance on shipping to Europe.

Packages sent to your CMR require a US Customs form with items and values listed. Confirm with USPS (or selected carrier service) regarding items that are forbidden to be mailed. Also, check electronics that you intend to ship have the CE symbol for approved use in European countries. Contact your gaining CMR if you have additional questions on shipping items to yourself.
Getting a driver’s license in US is faster, easier and much less expensive than getting a license during your assignment in Europe. In many countries, courses and testing are not available in English. Depending on the country and school, fees may be due for each test, training resource, class and practice (no matter the language) and they add up fast. European driving courses range between 1,500 and 3,000 Euros and could take up to 6 months of driving practice.
Although other US States allow use of an expired driver’s license with a military ID, other countries do not have the same allowance. A current, valid stateside driver’s license is required to get a USAREUR driving permit and international driving permit. Once you arrive and in-process to your new location, you will not be able to drive without the local military driver’s permit (varies by host country). Ensure your license is valid before you PCS. If it will expire during your assignment in Europe, learn what your state’s requirements are to renew on-line (if possible).
You will need a valid tourist passport if you plan to do any travel outside of your duty location. The Official (or “no-fee”) passport is only used for entry and exit of the country of assignment (where you are “officially” assigned). All other travel requires a tourist passport for every family member. Whether you drive, fly, take the train, sail on a cruise or something different, a tourist passport is necessary for traveling outside of your duty location. Other forms of ID are not appropriate.

Status of Forces Agreements, or SOFAs, are agreements between two or more countries “that generally establish the framework under which U.S. military personnel operate in a foreign country and how domestic laws of the foreign jurisdiction apply toward U.S. personnel in that country”. The SOFA has both freedoms and restrictions. Those (military, civilian or family member) who disregard the standards set by the SOFA could face fines, removal from host nation country and more.

All family members (including Active Duty military personnel) require a tourist passport to travel outside of the assigned duty location. If you plan to drive you will need an international driving permit. Some countries require additional items – such as visa, entry fee, immunizations and more. See US Department of State website for specific country travel requirements and restrictions.
Public Affairs

Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 5:00 p.m. (European Standard Time, we are closed on all U.S. federal holidays)

Telephone: Commercial +49(0) 0631-413-8184 or Defense Switched Network (DSN): (314) 484-8184/8255 or Email Us!

The Installation Operations Center is open  24 hours and can be reached at 0611-143523-0500 or via Defense Switched Network (DSN) at (314) 523-0500.

21st Theater Sustainment Command

U.S. Army

CMR 479

APO AE 09054

Sponsorship is a program designed to assist Soldiers, Civilians and Family Members as they move between installations throughout their career. An effective Sponsorship Program will promote Readiness for individuals, families and units. Moving is stressful. Communication with someone already in-place can ease the stress. Contact your Sponsor at least four months prior to your planned departure – or as soon as possible if you have less notice. Get resources and links to help you plan for your unique requirements. Include all family members in the planning to ensure reduced stress for all – including Spouse and school-aged children. Understand some locations have special requirements – find out about them early and prepare. Knowledge is power and flexibility is key to a smooth PCS. If you have questions ask your Sponsor or contact the USAREUR TASP Office.
Readiness is essential and your Sponsor is available to you to assist you for personal/family readiness and to ensure the unit’s readiness is high during PCS time. PCSing to Europe is a little different than to CONUS installations. Language barriers, driving rules, passport requirements, and more, can present additional challenges to your PCS. If you have never been stationed in Europe, your Sponsor is a great resource to answer questions and guide you during your PCS. If you have lived in Europe, let your Sponsor know. Sponsorship should be tailored to support your specific needs. Unit Coordinators usually assign Sponsors who are similar to incoming personnel, however not every match is a perfect fit. If you determine your Sponsor does not meet your needs, contact the gaining unit and request to be assigned a new Sponsor. Be specific – if you require someone who is single, or someone with a similar family situation, let your coordinator know. Also, request a new Sponsor if the assigned Sponsor seems to be constantly in training or TDY, taking care of medical issues, preparing for PCS, ETS or retirement, or generally does not seem to have time for you. Don’t wait – request a change of Sponsor if you need one.
All personnel (military and civilian) and family members who are PCSing to Europe may have a Sponsor – including Spouse Sponsors and Youth Sponsors. Soldiers are required to use Army Career Tracker's Sponsorship module. Department of the Army civilians may request Sponsorship through CPAC or gaining unit supervisor/hiring official. Complete DA Form 5434 for your Sponsor to use in providing assistance. If you are arriving in less than 120 days, contact USAREUR TASP Office (include your name, gaining UIC and anticipated arrival date).

For Soldiers being assigned to Headquarters 21st TSC, the contact is the Special Troops Battalion S-1 at DSN (314) 484-7712 or 011-49-631-413-7712 or Email the Battalion Strength Management Team.

No - Sponsorship is for everyone preparing to PCS; Command Sponsorship is specific to an individual (spouse or child) accompanying Soldier or DA Civilian to a specific location. When Command Sponsorship is approved, the family member will be able to accompany the Soldier or Civilian to the duty assignment location. Travel may be concurrent (with the person on assignment) or deferred (at a later time). When Command Sponsorship is denied, the location is not able to support medical and/or educational needs of the specific individual identified. The decision to approve or deny Command Sponsorship requests is determined for the best interest of the individual regarding support that is available. Trying to avoid Command Sponsorship or traveling against decision may cause additional stress, confusion, fees for support on the local economy and/or plane fare for a return flight.
There are a few options to reach your Sponsor.
1. Review the DA Form 5434 Section 3 and contact your gaining unit directly.
2. If you don’t have a Sponsor assigned in ACT, contact your current Unit Sponsorship Coordinator or Civilian Personnel Assistance Center (CPAC) for assistance.
3. If you are arriving in less than 120 days, contact the
USAREUR TASP Office (include your name, gaining UIC and anticipated arrival date).
The ACT website has a DoD Self-service, or DS, log on option so you can use your smartphone to access your ACT account. Before you log in with your CAC, set up a DS log-on to use your phone. Then, make sure you provide alternate methods to contact you – such as personal email, Facebook, skype, WhatsApp, messenger or other options.
Many locations in Europe have very limited resources and some locations have no local garrison support. If you or a family member has been denied Command Sponsorship, understand it is in that person’s best interest for health and welfare or educational needs. Very rarely is the decision reversed and significant supporting documentation is required to be submitted in the appeal package. Contact your current MPD for additional information and requirements.